With over 35 years of practice, Steven consistently has been identified as one of the leading lawyers in his fields of practice, including recognition in Best Lawyers in America, Southern California Super Lawyers, the LA Business Journal, the TMR 1000, and Who’s Who in International Business Law. Focusing on branding and intellectual property, entertainment, media, digital and software technology, advertising and promotion and general business, his clients have included many of the best known consumer products, digital and software technology, retail, hotels, food and beverage, and fashion industry companies, as well as celebrities, athletes, media personalities, authors, leading film, video and television production companies, and many of the major studios, networks, music streaming services, and record labels. Steven also serves as outside general counsel to start-up, emerging, growth and established companies in varied industries, including digital media, pharmaceutical cannabis and the world’s largest language services company.
Steven’s legal practice today consists of counseling, transactions and litigation (including mediation and arbitration) in the following areas:
- Branding – individual, product and corporate
- Intellectual property — trademark, copyright, trade dress, publicity rights, trade secrets
- Global trademark strategy, registration, management and enforcement
- Licensing and sponsorship
- Entertainment — film, television, video, music and publishing deals
- Sports – representation of professional athletes in licensing, sponsorship and entertainment deals
- Digital, interactive and social media
- Domain name protection and enforcement
- Advertising and promotion and direct sales (including long and short form commercials, integrated marketing, con-branding and co-marketing, etc.)
- Trade secrets, privacy and confidentiality
- Software and online technology law
- Endorsement, licensing, tie-ins, co-marketing and sponsorship
- General business and corporate
An experienced and successful litigator in the courts and USPTO proceedings, Steven also has substantial experience with alternative dispute resolution. Over 90% of his cases (court and administrative) settle successfully. He also is a mediator and arbitrator and was a member of the INTA/CPR Institute’s first ADR Neutrals Program and was an ICANN domain name dispute (UDRP) arbitrator.
Steven also is an executive coach and branding and licensing consultant.
- Consistently elected annually by his peers to Best Lawyers in America, International Who’s Who of International Business Lawyers, Southern California Super Lawyers
- Named one of the top trademark practitioners in the US and the world by World Trademark Review (WTR 1000) and Managing Intellectual Property magazine) and named in Guide to the World’s Leading Trademark Law Practitioners and as an LA Business Journal “Best of the Bar.”
- Co-author of the Architectural Works Amendment (1990) of the U.S. Copyright Law.
- Former Editor-in-Chief of the International Trademark Association’s The Trademark Reporter® and Editor of the Journal of the Copyright Society of the USA.
- Former adjunct professor of trademark and unfair competition law, Brooklyn Law School and visiting adjunct professor, NYU Law School
- A frequent national speaker and lecturer on topics related to his practice, Steven also publishes regularly in business and legal publications, and on blogs, including his own blog, TheBrandLawyer.com
- Co-authored the Handbook of Trademark Law (published by the International Trademark Association) for three years
- Created and chaired the INTA’s first Branding and Social Media Conference (2013) and created and for many years chaired or co-chaired the Practicing Law Institute’s Advanced Licensing Seminar
- Awarded the 2014 Malibu Times Business Dolphin Award for pro bono representation of local charitable organizations
- Annual guest lecturer on Entertainment and Intellectual Property, UCLA Entertainment Extension Course
- New York (1981), California (2004), Arizona (1994)
- J.D. St. John’s University School of Law Queens, New York, Law Review Articles Editor
- B.A. State University of NY at Buffalo, New York, Biology, Psychology and Film
Associations and Activities
- International Trademark Association, former Board Member and Editor in Chief of The Trademark Reporter®
- Copyright Society of the USA, and former Editor of the Bulletin of the Copyright Society
- American Bar Association
- California, New York and Arizona Bar Associations
- Malibu Jewish Center & Synagogue, former President and Legal Counsel
- Malibu Film Society, Co-founder, Executive Member and Legal Counsel
- Malibu Community Labor Exchange, Board Member and Legal Counsel
- The Malibu Dolphin Charitable Foundation, Board Member and Legal Counsel